Marc by Marc Jacobs
MARC by Marc Jacobs Cream Simone Solid Silk Top ($145)
3.1 Philip Lim
3.1 Philip Lim high-waisted silk pants ($209)
Steve Madden black t-strap peep-toe pumps ($90)
Michael Kors gold watch ($295)
Splendid white tank ($85)
Hudson white skinny jeans $165
Paul Smith silver snakeskin belt, $126
Lanvin cap-toe pumps ($710)
Asos stone tube necklace ($43)
Giorgio Armani bi-color peep-toe pumps ($548)
Twin Beeches London bracelet, $36
DKNY yelllow saffiano satchel ($295)
Head-to-toe white was a big trend for Spring/Summer 2013, with Jil Sander, Alexander Wang and Victoria Beckham all showcasing separates in shades of true white, ivory, and cream on the runway. Supermodel Irina Shayk is the latest to get on board the monochromatic trend, pairing a cream silk blouse with cream silk trousers in Madrid yesterday. So why aren’t you wowed right now? Well, it’s because she broke several fundamental fashion rules when it comes to doing monochrome. When doing head-to-toe white, you must:
1. MIX YOUR MATERIALS. Contrasting textures — think cashmere, silk, and leather — add dimension to a monochromatic look and create visual interest.
Strike one: Irina stuck with the same material top and bottom, which made her outfit bland and boring. The eye is drawn nowhere.
2. SHOW SOME SKIN. Tastefully. Break up the look by showing off arms, legs, shoulders, or decollete — but never all four at once.
Strike 2: Irina is too covered up here. I guess you could argue that she’s showing off her neck, but maybe you should ask yourself why it is you want to argue in the first place. Is it because maybe you’re the problem? Something to think about it.
3. POP OF COLOR: As much as I hate to say “pop of color,” you absolutely need it with a monochromatic look. A statement necklace, a shoulder bag, a pair of pumps, a manicure — just something bold and bright.
Strike three: Irina decided to forgo the any color, opting for black peep-toe pumps and a gold watch instead, making her already boring outfit exponentially more boring. It’s the same color and texture from start to finish.
Monochromatic Look Irina’s Way:
- 3.1 Philip Lim high-waisted silk pants ($209)
- MARC by Marc Jacobs Cream Simone Solid Silk Top ($145)
- Steve Madden black t-strap peep-toe pumps ($90)
- Michael Kors gold watch ($295)
Monochromatic Look MY Way:
1. Mix materials — jersey-weight cotton and denim:
2. Pop of color:
2a. Pop of color runner-up: